Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hallway Yoga

So in these, the first days of my college career, I've been far more of an early bird than most people would expect. My first and second mornings I awoke at 4am, and today, my second day of class, I was fully conscious around 5:30.

Some people might attribute this to my roommate's snoring. This is not the case, for if it were, I would be woken far earlier in the night or as was the case last night, I would not be able to get to sleep in the first place.

No, my problem is a matter of assimilation and acclimatization. I'm not yet used to being in this strange room I share with this strange boy. So rather than fight myself to ween a measly extra hour or two of sleep out of my morning, I get up.

I find the morning peaceful. And, looking at the ResTek bandwidth log, I find that my internet connection is a little bit faster with next to nobody logged in.

I shower, I brush my teeth, I get ready for my day.

Part of getting ready for my day that I would like to continue is a morning yoga routine. It would be easier in a class or with a video to follow, but I've done enough yoga that I can do some rather basic and informal stretching routines and sun salutations from memory. However, since I'm sharing the space of my room with someone else and I personally find the idea of waking up to seeing downward facing dog an unpleasant concept at best, I've made it a point to remove myself from my room.

Instead, I practice my ujjayi breathing in the hallway. I don't have quite as much area for my arms to extend in when, say, I stretch them out wide and up before starting a swan dive downward, but in the quiet of the hallway it's a lot easier to focus. Strangely, the idea of the other males on my floor witnessing my routine is a lot less worrying than disturbing my roommate's sleep with it is.

No comments: