Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Physics of the body

Sometimes I feel jaded by this Biomechanics class. It's the same physics I did Freshmen year, which was the same physics I did in high school.

But then I start thinking about how it doesn't change because it literally is all the same stuff that I've done before. Slightly different applications and examples, but the baseline concepts of velocity, force, acceleration, energy and work haven't changed at this fundamental level for hundreds of years.

That's cool. Boring when you're required to take it more than once, but cool.

This is part of my radical retraining.

Rethinking my minor (and major) complaints into something positive. In recognizing the usefulness of a thought as it serves my journey in life, there is no room for complaints.

This does not entail denial of thought. No thought is worthless or without merit, no emotion without cause, but  the contextualization of thought.

My boredom in biomechanics is valid. I've learned this before which flavors my perspective in such a way that makes my peers' struggle with the material seem trivial. But that's comparing their experience to my own.

As someone seeking social justice, I know that this does not work. A comparative analysis of experience creates an unequal power dynamic that leads to violence (though in this case more implicit than direct). People attribute knowledge with intelligence, a valued  judgement since knowledge is privileged. Those without knowledge then feel lesser.

So let's start again.

I'm bored in biomechanics because I already know the majority of the material on a working level, but by the time we finish this course, my peers and I will all have a working understanding of the principles of biomechanics and be able to apply basic physics and data analysis methods to human bodies.

As we continue in the kinesiology field we may or may not continue to use this information for other classes or practical application, but we'll still have learned it.

No comments: