Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Dai Stiho Friend

So I've been following Diane Duane on tumblr ever since I realized she had a tumblr account. (You should go follow her here, she posts some pretty amazing things.)

Someone else had reblogged something and that made me search the Young Wizards tag and it's like I was that unabashedly awkward teenager again, the one who was not ashamed (and to be very honest still isn't, but lacks time) to devour entire series of books in a matter of days. And I thought to myself, how could I ever forget this?

But the thing is, I hadn't forgotten, not really. I'd just absorbed it, incorporated it into my everyday life so that it was like a tattoo imprinted on my mind and never looked at. I realized this as I was out for a jog and as I passed a cat I said "Dai Stiho Friend." I've been doing this for years, long before I even knew what tumblr was.

For those of you who haven't read the books, cat-wizards work as gatekeepers in the books, they run the wizarding equivalent to Grand Central Station on earth (if I recall, in Grand Central Station) between worlds. "Dai Stiho" is a form of greeting in the wizarding language.

So let's call this a Diane Duane appreciation post. You've helped create something that has, for many of us as young readers, become part of who we are. Thank you.

[edit]
Post, OVER. Author read and liked it!


1 comment:

Curvywitch said...

Hmmm yes I say Dai Stiho to cats I encounter too - just being polite. :-)