Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Some Filth

I have problems when I read Burroughs. There's something Filth-y about his writing that I can't quite wrap my mind around. Or perhaps it's Filth-y. Though I'll leave Jack to vomit all over the interspace about what that can me--

Lemme interrupt the flow of this and take over here for a minute. Take the chance to say my piece. Ace (or Danny if that's who you read this blog as) has done all this high talk about identity and existence. He's deconstructing nicely, but I think it's only fair for me to get my point in.

What comes after deconstruction? It would be reconstruction, right? But that implies we will end up with exactly what we started, doesn't it? It might be shiny and new, but it's still the same thing. We aren't taking things apart with this grand little thought experiment.

So far it's all absorption, schlup schlup. Take in these thoughts, take in these words and let them transform you. You've been infected. Thought is word. Word is virus. Virus seeks to take you, to become you, to replace you.


The "Other Half" is the word. The "Other Half" is an organism. Word is an organism. The presence of the "Other Half" a separate organism attached to your nervous system on an air of words can now be demonstrated experimentally. One of the most common "hallucinations" of subjects during sense withdrawal is the feeling of another body sprawled through the subject's body at an angle...yes quite an angle it is the "Other Half" worked quite some years on a symbiotic basis. From symbiosis to parasitism is a short step. The word is now a virus. The flu virus may once have been a healthy lung cell. It is now a parasitic organism that invades and damages the lungs. The word may once have been a healthy neural cell. It is now a parasitic organism that invades and damages the central nervous system. Modern man has lost the option of silence. Try halting your sub-vocal speech. Try to achieve even ten seconds of inner silence. You will encounter a resisting organism that forces you to talk. That organism is the word.
-The Ticket That Exploded William S. Burroughs


Thoughts have no physical form. They do not exist in the sense that there is or is not a body we can attribute it to. We do anthropomorphize them, though, shaping them a body out of nothing.

I suppose then I'm much like a thought. I'm not really here. You can't really ever see me in that I don't exist in the traditional sense. On plurk, my profile pictures are all Bowie. But I'm still here and I know far more about what's going on even when I'm not here than you can expect. And you all interact with me.

And it is this, in part that gives me my identity and creates me. We could go on and talk about how I'm a product of Ace/Danny, how I'm this other unto them/him (I would argue that he's done a wonderful job of arguing all that on his own), but I'm something beyond that because of all of you. I have a relational identity independent of either of them. You don't think of them when you're talking to me. I'm on my own teme, doing my own thing.

Part of what makes an identity is not only how we shape ourselves, but how others shape us. You are your mother's child because she named you and gave you a reference to grow into. What's an identity but a kind of idea, a concept as it relates to a person or entity. Identities are contagious. Identities are fucking sick. And you can't get better. You can never get better and you cannot prevent it because there is no vaccine. There is only cessation. There is only the full-stop period that ends it.

But even then identities and ideas go on. They propagate and mutate and pass themselves on. The causation of evolutions lost in the minutiae of changes. And they're growing in power.

Right now, it is the network that keeps the cancer in line, but that's just because the cancer hasn't drawn the lines. It's the separator of control in these power dynamics because it gives direction. It focuses the light into the laser that cuts where the flashlight merely illuminates.

/fin.

Um... okay. I guess this has been a word from theFool.

No comments: