Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sex, Marriage, & Fairytales: A Response

So I've seen this floating around a bit through social media, and I must say great video. Well, worded, articulate, inclusive, clearly influenced by feminist values in that it seeks to move away from the traditional patriarchal values that have led us to the current state of affairs [pun intended] when it comes to marriage.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4OK9DmLpCY


That said, this video is predicated on a Christeo-normative assumption that disallows for any other kind of successful marriage. The only way is through a foundation in Jesus Christ. And for those of you reading this who believe in the Christian god, great. Awesome, even. I hope you take home the fundamental message that there is sanctity in marriage. If we as a society are going to argue over other people's right to that expression of love and happiness we need to look in our own homes first.


But this video makes me uncomfortable. Because I'm not Christian. I don't ever see myself being Christian. I don't particularly want to be Christian. This may change and I reserve the right to make that change if I feel so called. And I'm sure I could find plenty of people (religious and not) who would say the same.


Given the viral nature of this video, then, I think it's worth calling out that Christeo-normativity that makes me uncomfortable. I'm naming it as something to note. Assuming anyone listening to you is Christian (the definition of Christeo-normativity if you didn't catch that) is wrong because if there's one thing I've learned about people, it's that not all of them are Christian. I recognize that when it comes to belief and religion, the conversation is fundamentally at odds with the postmodern plurality I'm working with. 


Most religions by definition are mutually exclusive. You're supposed to spread the word and accept others into the practice that will save you. Only through this god will you make it to heaven [or whatever afterlife they teach]. You can't really be more than one at the same time. In a Christian context, this is commonly referred to as evangelism.


This is counter to the idea of plurality, that each religion is the result of a specific cultural and social causality and each has its own merits and reason for existence. They all have a right to exist and be treated equally. I can't tell you to follow my religion any more than you can tell me to follow yours unless we both mutually agree that we want to change our minds.


I think part of what differentiates between these two ideologies is faith. Or maybe Faith.


I struggle because I want to balance my foundation in plurality, in the knowledge and acceptance that there are many options, with the Faith that so many people have. If I were to make an essentialist statement about my identity, it would be that I thrive in liminality. I'm a human of in-betweens and I chafe under most dominant paradigms that enforce or too strongly advocate a way of thinking or doing things.


So the question that this post poses then is what is the goal of this video? Are we meant to turn to Christ? Are we meant to fix marriage?


"My hope in this poem is to highlight the most frequent and problematic issues marriages face today while also pointing to Jesus as the ultimate healer, redeemer, and restorer of every marriage. Whether single or married, my intention would be that this poem would allow you to look more deeply to Jesus to either better your current marriage, or prepare for your future marriage." -bball1989
The  video description (and video itself) seems to imply both. 


I'm left at a loss, and it seems the only judgement I can make is something akin to:



I'm glad that someone is taking time to address this issues for Christians, but this isn't for me by any means.



1 comment:

StephenMeansMe said...

Great post. That video is like a roller-coaster of good ideas and WTFs. All the Christo-normative stuff bugged the hell (lulz) out of me, but the stuff about relationships failing because of unrealistic expectations? Spot. On.

Of course, being Christian, that guy missed a big part of the thing: You can't just be friends before marriage. You also have sex. Maybe not often, maybe not even intercourse, but there needs to be some sense/semblance of a sex life as a taste of things to come.

One of the key reasons for relationships falling apart is a terrible sex life. I don't have the exact figures but I heard that the correlation is apparently overwhelming. Ironically, Christianity and other religions promote a culture of guilt around sex and sexuality, which only exacerbates this problem.

After all, everyone will have friends---even very close friends---who are never considered marriageable. Or fuckable. That's not bad, but it's something to consider.

Or else we might as well reconsider what marriage, and the contract therein, really means.