Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 2: Trainspotting



In the picture above, I may look nice with my skinny tie, sport jacket and gelled up hair (thanks Dani for the product!), but as you can tell from my eyes, I am ready for a nap.

The past two days I've been awake to 2am and beyond, which with the exception of Nerf Wars on Saturdays is not something that's normal for me at all. I don't regret it though. Last night after all, I was attempting anyways to write a three page paper for my English class. Besides, I find I rather enjoy those wee hours of the morning. They're peaceful in a way that just doesn't happen during the day.

Anyways, I got my essay done and turned in, and in my English class, we talked about the use of dialectical markers in written language. Among other examples, we looked at Brer Rabbit and, while reading some of the dialogue there, I was reminded of the book Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, because the vast majority of it is written in a strong, Irish(?) dialect of English.

It's really a trip to read, but after about the first two chapters, you get used to it. I found even that I started catching myself speaking in the accent under my breath as I read.

Anyways, I don't think I really had a point with this other than I want to get a copy of that book now and reread it.

Danny-Sleep≠Coherency. I think I'll take a nap once I'm done with classes for the day.

1 comment:

djahren said...

I love your little equation there at the end.
I really want to learn more about dialects now...this intrigues me...