Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Touched by the presence of the Lord

While I was at the library the other day, I was interrupted from whatever internet browsing I was doing by a kindly seeming, middle-aged, Korean woman. She told me she'd felt called to come talk to me, like I was somehow open to what she had to say.

In a way, she had been right. I was open, I listened to her with my whole heart, which is probably why the experience ended up being so intense.

She started by telling me about an email her pastor sent her and some of the scripture he quoted, particularly a verse from Isaiah 60 about light in the darkness.

As we explored parts of the Gospels together, she had me understand how the Word of God, of Yahweh, was Jesus Christ and that He was the light in the darkness. And so on and so forth, Jesus died for our sins and so only through Him can I truly be forgiven and accepted into the arms of the Lord.

She told me about her 11 year-old son and reading scripture with him. Several times she interrupted herself to pull out a small, circular sponge like you would find in a makeup kit to use to wipe her nose of her allergies. And she cried. She cried for me, at the power of what she was saying, so strong was her belief.

While I truly did try to listen with an open heart, and even read aloud some of the scripture she passed in front of me, (John 6:44, Psalm 139), I cannot fully accept this sacrifice. God sent His only son, Jesus Christ, to absolve us of our sins so that His blood may show us the way to the throne of heaven. The part I cannot understand or perhaps cannot accept is why? And this is a very specific why in that I'm not questioning the motivation of why must He do this, but rather why must it only be this way?

To paraphrase Derrida, only I can be responsible for my life, and conversely, for my death.   But examining the divine sacrifice within this discourse, we come across an intersection of the responsibility that is uniquely of man and the grace of that which we call God.

As an immortal being, God is exempt from the kind of responsibilities faced by man. He is beyond being good, being understood, morality. Who does He answer to for His actions but Himself? So for Christ to die for us, to offer to take responsibility for us and for our sins, creates a symbol wherein God accepts responsibility for His own actions.

To me at least, it says, I made this what it is. It's my fault and so I must be the one to fix it. Your failings in my eyes are because of Me, so your salvation must also come through Me, through Jesus Christ.

This is why I am not Christian. My faith is not put in Jesus Christ. I do not trust Him explicitly and wholly. The way I view it, I answer to a higher power than that, creation, that eternal force of life that moves us forward. In less secular terms, I suppose many would call this God, but that is one thing I deliberately choose not to do. How can one fathom to name and so attempt to define that which is, was and will be? Only man.

"All other sins, stealing, killing, etc, are secondary." To what? To the greatest sin which is to fail to honor your responsibility to your creator. For according to Psalm 139:13-16, we were each formed even before our birth, seen and witnessed before life itself. I cannot refer to this as God though. It's not disrespect because to me, every act of creation, which is indeed every action, is or should be a celebration and honoring of the original creation.

At the end of our conversation -- a term I use rather loosely considering I said maybe a total of 10 words of my own in the course of something like 45 minutes -- this woman prayed for me. She prayed for the Lord to bless me in all I do and to give me strength, but also to give me strength in Him. Perhaps I need that strength, but not right now, not until I'm ready to accept it.

And I admit, I felt it, what she would have called the presence of God. It was a pressure in my head given to the intensity of the moment. Something I felt physically and made me tremble. But is that God? I struggle to name and describe it, so I'm not going to rationalize with some attempt at a scientific explanation, but is it God? And if so, which god? Which faith and belief has that kind of power except that which we give it?

If I were Pastafarian, I would say in that moment I was being touched by His Noodly Appendage (RAmen). I'm not mocking faith in questioning this, I'm searching for my own.

There was one other thing she said that really struck me. Religion is dead, she said, to believe in Christ is to believe in the living spirit. This as she urged me to find a church in my area, a Foursquare where I could find Christ.

It struck me as particularly serendipitous that I should draw the attention of this woman, because I still remember rather distinctly the conversation I had about a month ago when a man stopped me in Red Square up at Western.

"I could tell the Lord had opened you to hear my message."

Perhaps I am touched by the presence of the Lord. Touched so that I may stay open to these experiences and listen and experience the diversities of Faith across our world. Religion is dead, yes, but the spirit is very much alive. 

4 comments:

Joe/Jack said...

Christianity, I feel, is riding your bike with God keeping you steady and in line.

You always crossed me more as a crash a few times and hardly fall again kind of guy. At the end of the day, you have a few scars, but you also have your freedom.

It's easy to understand this thing, Christianity, but to embrace it is a sacrifice that just doesn't seem... right. Seems like a surrendering of responsibility of control.

Still, prayer is a powerful thing, perhaps because thought is a powerful thing. Luke 18:42 "Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has healed you."

Anyway...

Unknown said...

And that's one of my biggest problems in a nutshell, J, responsibility of control.

We were created with free will, right? So does that not mean that we are each only responsible for ourselves? What I do is what I did. No one else can lay claim to that. They can influence me, suggest the idea of the action to me, but I am the one who did it.

In the Fall of the original sin, God punished the serpent but not for man's choice.

It's ownership of one's own actions. I believe in Fate and preordination, but I also believe that the paths we take (the questions we ask to get to that answer) are uniquely our own.

I don't believe there is only one way. And it is my faith in that more than anything else that keeps me from ever being able to accept Christianity.

Brianna said...

Just a thought on the whole God-accepting-responsibility-for-us argument....

I see what your saying about each person being responsible for their own actions and also about not trusting Jesus, but I think you're missing something important.

God created us (out of his love) to be able to love Him freely. He wanted to have a real relationship with us. But in order to not just have thousands of robots worshipping Him, he gave us free will to choose to love Him or not. After all, it's impossible to have love without also having the possibility of hate. And we chose act against Him. Therefore, God is really in no way responsible for us or our shortcomings. He could choose to condemn us all and just forget the whole deal....

but He didn't. And that's why Jesus is so important. Because even though we sinned (on our own accounts), God still seeks after us. And He chose to give us His son to act as a sin offering. Even though it wasn't His fault that we sinned. Even though most people ignore Him. He still wants to save us, but not because He wants to control people; just because He wants to be with them.

I think it's interesting what you said about the two different people targeting you to talk about God... maybe because I've been there before. I think God pays A LOT more attention to us than we realize. Sometimes in more obvious ways than others...

Just food for thought :)

Unknown said...

Maybe she had something to teach you that was not what she was trying to teach you...or maybe not, just speculating.

I wrestle with accepting Christianity in similar ways. I really relate to the teachings about forgiveness, non-judgment, and compassion. But when it comes to the belief that in order to be "saved" you have to only embrace Christ and exclude all else, that just pushes me away(as it does for many people).

It's like I want to embrace Christianity but still be able to embrace other teachings.