Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Hugs

I was talking to my friend Dani recently, something about being comfortable with people, and it led to the revelation that we don't hug.

Think about it, we usually reserve hugs for the people we're closest to. But I look at the friends I'm closest to, Charlie, who calls my her second little brother, Dani, my name/brain twin, my friend Kirsten who I've known since the second grade and who I walked to the bus stop with through all of our high school experience or my family, and I realized, I don't really hug any of them. I mean, I hug them, yes, but not nearly as often as for example my friend Saylah.

I think it has something to do with proximity. I see Charlie and Dani (and when I'm home, my family) every day, if not more often. Hugs are for goodbyes and hellos. Hugs are to make you feel better. Hugs are for the guy with the sign standing in Red Square (or if that guy is me, dancing in the Nash Lounge area). For the most part, it's not an everyday activity we participate in, but hugs can become a more common experience in our lives. Just like murder or adultery or love or happiness can; you just have to be willing to make it happen.

But I'm rambling now. A sure sign I've lost my train of thought. Enjoy your weekend.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Oh yeah, I agree. Sara and I were talking about that. Sara and I don't hug really. Even though we don't see each other all the time. We just hug to say hi and bye but I hug other people way more than that. Isn't that weird? I think she try more often. Good plan?