Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gear Up Camp

By the time I've set this post to upload, I will be East side of the mountains volunteering with an organization I've come to greatly respect and admire for their work inspiring and empowering youth.

When I get back I should have plenty of stories and pictures to share as I finally get to give back to a program that has truly changed my life.

While I'm away though: I was looking through my computer and found several articles I'd saved regarding the then recent demise of Mother's Cookies. I think I had been planning to write some kind of eulogy for the delicious circus animals, but somehow never got around to it.

It was a hard blow for me when I first learned about the demise of Mother's Cookies, because they were one of the things I looked forward to most about donating my blood to the Cascade Regional Vampires. Though really, what do you look forward to in giving blood? Even for someone like me who isn't afraid of needles, having one shoved into your arm isn't exactly an experience you try to have happen all that often.

Now, I'm sure there are generic pink and white animal cookies that taste exactly the same, but that smiling face has been a hallmark of so many of our childhoods that it's a shame to see it gone. They didn't even make it to a centennial celebration to have special crazy rainbow colored cookies or some such confectionary nonsense, since they closed down after only 94 years.

Admittedly, it's been several months since this news came to pass and I haven't exactly missed them while I've been away at college, but it's the cookie, not how often you eat it that counts.

My only question is, which tasted better? The pink animals or the white ones?

No comments: