Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 6: Quiet Tuesday



The above video was taken at my salsa group. Two of our better leads as a joke decided to dance with each other. I have a lot of respect for them that they were able to do this and do it well. There are days when I wouldn't mind following. It appeals to that submissive side of my personality, but at the same time, I recognize that no matter how confident I am in myself, I still need to work on using that confidence for myself. I'm constantly being told I have amazing presence on stage and in person, but I don't think of myself as forward. If I want something I will only ask if there's no alternative.

I feel Salsa has helped me with this because to be a good lead, you have to be a certain kind of aggressive: You are directing your follow where to go, and if anything goes wrong, it's automatically assumed to be your fault. I'm not very aggressive even when I know I should be. It's something about my personality that while not inherently a bad thing can be a burden if I let it get out of hand. For the most part, I live to serve, but there are times when you have to look after your own best interests and learning a little gentle aggression helps with that.

Maybe it's because I'm tired from staying up until 3 again, maybe it's because I woke up cold on a grizzly gray day. But today just feels quiet to me. Or rather, here, let me say it another way:

1 comment:

djahren said...

The two guys (who I'm assuming are typically leads) dancing together so well is quite impressive.

I think that is good about the certain "aggressiveness" of leading. I personally struggle with asking for what I need sometimes and so I think I get what you are saying there. There's something about leading where you just HAVE to have that confidence that you know what you are doing...even when you don't totally.

I am liking this video combined blog :P :)