Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 8: Some Songs



There are two songs that I feel define me in that they are always with me.

The first should be no surprise to anyone who's ever walked with me anywhere. I sing it randomly, half the time without really realizing I'm singing it.

It takes a crane to build a crane
It takes two floors to make a story...


Recognize it? It's Life is Wonderful by Jason Mraz. It's just this quiet song full of the extremes in life and how you can't have polar opposites without having both. A smile just wouldn't be a smile if every once in a while there wasn't a frown. Life is circular, and that's what makes it wonderful.

The other song comes to me when I'm in a certain pensive state of mind, again, often while walking.

It's a love song, a tale of awakenings with quiet strings pulling you along. I think part of the appeal is because I'm a morning person and the opening lines are Sunrise/Sunrise/Looks like morning in your eyes/But the clock's held 9:15 for hours. I call it my morning/sun song and it makes me smile.

I also love Norah Jones's voice and how the music is used to complement it rather than the other way around. It's the same with any acoustic song really. That simplicity draws me in.

1 comment:

djahren said...

YAY MOOZEEK
I love it. Music is one of the things in this world that really is magical. Especially good music. But seriously though, there's nothing else remotely like music, is there?
Wait...does that make sense?

I love love love Life is Wonderful by Jason Mraz and I have not heard the Nora Jones song but I shall go listen to it now. It really made me happy and made my day when you shared those lyrics with me.

Rawr.