Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Day 32: Status Culture

Twitter, Facebook, Plurk, MySpace. If you're seeing a pattern, you know what I'm getting at. Hell, you can even have a status on your Gmail or MSN Live accounts as a special message to tell everyone why you're away from your computer and not IMing with them.

With current technology, we live in a status culture. You can update the world about every little thing you do from anywhere at any time (though let's face it, most of us don't care and would rather you only update the important stuff).

My point being, as a world community we are connected as close to instantaneously as we have ever been in human history. Half the time in conversations with friends, I already know half of what they have to say about what's been going on in their life because they send out tweets or status updates or blog about it, and I follow them.

So the question I ask, is: Is conversation becoming obsolete? Is it evolving and transforming to conversation 2.0? I've had entire multimedia "posting wars" with friends (Shout out mainly to Julia!) where we not only shared ideas, but images and songs and videos that back up and support those ideas. This is one reason I find myself liking Plurk so much. It facilitates that exchange so much easier than other microblogging services I've encountered so far.



If you think it's worth trying out, find me and sign up for one at the link below.

http://plurk.com/acelessthan3/invite

1 comment:

Jules said...

Yeah this is so true. *goes to sign up for plurk*.