Widdershins:

(sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) means to take a course opposite that of the sun, going counterclock-wise, lefthandwise, or to circle an object, by always keeping it on the left. It also means "in a direction opposite to the usual," which is how I choose to take it in using it as the title of this blog. We're all in the same world finding our own way.

Friday, April 3, 2009

RE Countdown to the Singularity

It would probably take a little longer than three weeks. This technology, while powerful and an example of the kind of technology that would lead to the singularity (I'm assuming of the kind described by Postsingular and other sources discussed in Nanotext), this is still in it's infancy.
From what I understood of the article, the program still needs to be "hand fed" the data it uses, a major flaw as far as finding autonomy and being able to operate on its own, but it is definitely a step in that direction. Once this program is able to self-analyze is when I think we will have to get really excited. Until then I don't see it being more than a giant intuitive search engine of sorts.
Then again, what do I know? I haven't studied any of the programming involved. Just adding my two cents to the change jar.

No comments: